I have been, or can be if you click on a link and make a purchase, compensated via a cash payment, gift, or something else of value for writing this post. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.
For the most part, this is the same information you can read in the About page. So, if you read that, feel free to skip this long introduction.
I’m Shani, a mother of two daughters and wife to a wonderful husband, Bill. I have one brother and am the daughter of two amazing parents who raised me in a loving and educational environment. I grew up in a family who dabbled in a variety of cultural experiences. A huge part of my life and our big family activity included theater performance. And, to this day both my brother and myself are professional actors (on a small-scale).
I named this blog the “Learned Mom” because education is a driving force in my life. I am interested in so many things and love learning about a myriad of topics. Not only do I have a desire for learning, I am also a lover of self-improvement topics. My educational background includes Speech Language Pathology, Library and Information Science, and courses in Financial Planning. I am blessed with the option to be a stay-at-home mom while pursuing my acting and singing interests. As I write this, I realize how unfocused I appear which leads me to why I chose to write this blog. Through writing, I am hoping to find a way to focus and hone all my interests while keeping a clean house and maintaining sanity.
What I Love and What I Plan on Writing About
- My family and parenting: I love being with my family and want to focus on spending more quality time with them. I also want to improve my parenting skills, especially since my oldest will be a teenager soon.
- A Clean House: I love the idea of having a clean house, but I am nowhere near having this. I want to improve this area of my life in a major way.
- Cooking: I love cooking healthy and frugal meals although it is hard to find the time to do this. I have just jumped into the world of freezer cooking.
- Reading: I am trying to read at least one book per month. I am also trying to get my kids to read more. In this day and age of the iPod, technology seems to have taken precedence over reading a good book.
- Crocheting and other crafts: During the last year, I learned how to crochet and opened up an Etsy store. YarnKnitDarnIt. Right now, I don’t have anything in my store because I am taking a break to focus on my blogging.
- Personal finance: I enjoy seeing where we can cut back on our spending and look for creative ways to do that.
- Fashion and Beauty: It seems that when I hit 40, I suddenly felt frumpy. Recently, I started following mom fashion bloggers to help pull me out of this frumpy mommy mess.
- Health and Fitness: As a performer, it is important for me to maintain a certain physique and to be healthy. I am not always the best at following through with my health and fitness goals, but I plan on trying harder in the coming months.
- Homeschooling: I homeschooled my oldest daughter until she was in 4th grade and my youngest until 2nd grade. I am still in love with the idea of homeschooling. In fact, over the summer we homeschool.
- Products I Love: As I come across new products that I love, I like to share them with other people.
What I want from this blog:
I hope to connect and engage with other moms who have similar interests to mine. I hope you enjoy reading my posts and that you share your personal experiences and tips with me.
Initially, I plan on posting once per week on Fridays. Eventually, I would like to expand my posting days to three days per week. Please subscribe to my newsletter and get a free guide on how to stretch your food budget.[yks-mailchimp-list id=”5b959753e0″ submit_text=”Subscribe here.”]